Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Springtime

What a spring we are having! One of my favorite times of the year. Everything is warming and growing, and the senses are filled and renewed. The trees are budding, the bulbs are sprouting, and sun is shinning, and the kids are getting awnry! Springtime is such a renewal of the earth, and of the heart and soul towards God. It is so appropriate that Lent always falls during Spring!


I have been dwelling lately on my life, and the way that it is being led. One thing is for sure.. I am NOT okay with the thought that this is the life I am prepared to stand before God with. Things will change. With each new child I have screamed louder and harder about not being able to keep up with the daily/weekly/yearly household chores, having time to pray/read scripture, and teaching the kids the virtues that I want them to have as adults. I attempted a few years ago after reading Holly Pierot's  A Mother's Rule of Life to create a Rule. Though it has failed miserably, even after trying ever since to keep it. I went into it, wanting to make a schedule that I could keep, force on my family, and keep me happy and peaceful. I have not been happy or peaceful for years.


Last night we watched the old sixties movie of St. Francis, and saw him develop and defending his Rule has re inspired me not to give up on my Rule, but to restart with the right intentions. I have been doing research on the internet this morning, and have found lots of resources, guides, blogs on the subject. Good to see that I am not the only one who struggles with this concept of living life wisely, and well! Over the next few days I will be praying and developing my Rule, and shall share it with you. Hopefully my journey of Rule development, will help you with developing one for you.

Today I shall share with you part of the reflections of  St. Francis of Assisi's in developing his Rule.

The Way to Serve and Work
This is the chapter which is dedicated to Minority or Humility. It is expressed in our way of life and moving through the world. Therefore, any Service or Work should reflect our Franciscan spirit and identify us. To "live in conversion" not only supposes service to God but also to serve as "minors" in working for a better world.
  Francis based his idea of minority on the person of Jesus:
  • who came to serve and not to be served.
  • who chose to announce the Good News and peace to the poor.
  • who adopted an attitude of humility and meekness..
This chapter gathers together the views of Francis about work and its purpose:
  • to work so as to give an example.
  • to avoid idleness.
  • to provide for the needs of the Fraternity.
  • to share the situation of ordinary people.
  • to serve others.
18. Therefore, in deciding to say "yes" to a work or occupation, we see being able to work is a gift of God, to be done with fidelity and devotion, as a way of avoiding idleness and providing a service and a means of expressing our condition as poor people.
We are to refuse any work which smothers the spirit of prayer and devotion by not allowing space for prayer, which ends up in activism, and which does not reflect spiritual values or which is not in accord with our status as poor brothers and sisters.
19. We reflect and "preach" the value of minority or humility:
  • in humbly accepting wages for the work done.
  • in being satisfied with having the necessities of life.
  • in remembering that we are servants of God and followers of holy poverty.
  • in sharing with the poor what is not needed.
  • in seeking to avoid power and authority and prosperity.
  • in being servants ( repeated 5X in nos. 18 & 19 ).
  • in being submissive to every human creature for the sake of God.
This vision of Francis agrees very well with the criteria expressed in Perfectae Caritatis 13 and in the new Code of Canon Law.
20. This article begins with a list of qualities, attitudes and behavior which makes those who practice them living witnesses of humility and thus believable witnesses of Franciscan peace. Francis wants his followers to be meek, modest and humble and proposes that they speak to all respectfully and speak whatever may seem useful. Wherever they go they are to avoid arguments, involvement in litigations, or in judging others.



I shall meditate on this passage as I do my dishes, laundry, and cleaning the kids rooms. To meditate as you work, you need to keep the music off, so you can hear yourself, and God.

No comments:

Post a Comment